Sunday, October 20, 2013

What have we been up to, you ask?

Alice and I ran the Fit One 5k, which has to be the biggest 5k event in Boise.  There were thousands of people there.  We ran in the competitive division so that Alice could have a chance to win a prize in her age group.  On the website, it said the age group would be 6-11 year olds.  Alice and I had been training and I felt like she had a good chance of getting a medal (the top three get a medal).  Well, when we checked the results at the end of the race, she'd placed 4th and it turns out the age group was 6-14 year olds.  She was very disappointed, but I was just so proud of her for running the whole time and never giving up--we ran it in 34 minutes and change.



Myra earned the Academic Award for her grade for the month of September.  She has just been loving Kindergarten, and wishes she could go full day.  I told her we could switch her to full day, but that would mean moving teachers.  She wasn't too keen on that idea and neither was I--she has an awesome teacher! 



We also celebrated Myra's birthday last weekend in SLC at Polly's house.  Myra got to have her friend Miles there, who recently moved from Kentucky to Salt Lake.  Miles has been to every single on of Myra's birthday parties, so it was nice he could make it to this one too!



We also got to see Miles' cute new baby brother!


Quincy's big accomplishment this past week was being potty-trained.  We ran out of diapers on Monday, so I got down to business!  I'm not sure at what point you say a child is completely potty-trained, but he hasn't had any accidents the last couple of days.  It's been a little frustrating because he won't go to the bathroom unless he needs/wants to go.  Like, if I want him to try to go before we get in the car to go somewhere or before nursery, he throws a tantrum.  I also made the mistake of starting him out naked from the waist down, because I've heard of other people doing that, but now he throws a fit every time we try to put on underwear.  Bruce had the bright idea of making him sit in the bathtub (the only place where it's acceptable to be bare bottomed) until he's ready to put on some pants.  That has helped, but it's still a fight.  The picture below shows him on the first day of bare bottomed training:)


Gilbert has been working on walking and is so fun to watch, doing he cute little baby steps from one piece of furniture to the next.  He also loves anything we're eating and turns his nose up at baby food.  He wants so badly to be like the rest of the family and is trying his darnedest to keep up!


1 comment:

Tammy and Alvin said...

As one who is not on facebook, I'm so glad you have not given up on your blog. :) I love the updates and staying connected.